Price: 1.50 euro
For sale at http://www.propagandaworld.org
Postcard made in the Soviet Union, 1990, with a statue (out of many) on the square of Fallen Heroes in Volvograd (formerly knwon as Stalingrad). The memorial site is best known for the enormous statue “Motherland Calls”. The “Square of Heroes” part on this huge memorial site is a long waterpoul wich represents the river Volga wich was a stronghold of the Soviets in the battle of Stalingrad. Along the poul there are numerous statues and this is one of them.
The Mamayev hill was the highest point in Stalingrad and thus an important objective of the German Army during the battle of Stalingrad.
Fighting for this hill began on 13 September 1942, when German troops assaulted the fortified Mamayev, which was defended by the Soviet Army. When the Germans took the hill, they began firing on the centre of Stalingrad. The Soviets retook Mamayev on 16 September 1942, suffering extreme losses. The Germans assaulted the hill an avarage of 12 times a day and the hill changed several times of ownership during the battle. The German Army managed to take half of Mamayev hill on 27 September 1942. This situation remained unchanged untill the defenders’s relief by the Sovjet winter offensive on 26 January 1943 wich was a turning point on the Eastern Front.