Price: 20.00 euro
For sale at http://www.propagandaworld.org
Wallpiece made in the DDR. Wooden plate with thin copper plaque on it. The image on the copper is the Sachsenhausen memorial tower. The tower is 35-40 (114-131 feet) meters tall and in front is a scultpute by René Graetz, made in 1961. The triangular prisoner’s badge is the dominant symbol on this triangular pylon with slightly concave sides.
Sachsenhausen was a German Nazi concentration camp in Oranienburg, Germany, used from 1936 until the defeat of Nazi Germany in May 1945. It mainly held political prisoners throughout World War II. Prominent prisoners included Joseph Stalin’s oldest son, Yakov Dzhugashvili, Paul Reynaud, the penultimate Prime Minister of France, Francisco Largo Caballero, Prime Minister of the Second Spanish Republic during the Spanish Civil War, the wife and children of the Crown Prince of Bavaria, Ukrainian nationalist leader Stepan Bandera, and several enemy soldiers and political dissidents.
Sachsenhausen was a labor camp, outfitted with several subcamps, a gas chamber, and a medical experimentation area. After World War II, when Oranienburg was in the Soviet Occupation Zone. About 100.000 people were killed in the camp. Today, Sachsenhausen is open to the public as a memorial.