Price: 175.00 euro
For sale at http://www.propagandaworld.org
Statue of Liberty Soviet Liberation of Hungary WW2. Rare vintage statue is made of solid aluminum alloy and stands on a marble base. It has a brass Honor plaque with the text; “B.M. For his workers, the VII Party Committee”.
The Statue of Liberty with woman and palm branch is a monument on Gellért Hill in Budapest, Hungary. It commemorates those who sacrificed their lives for Hungary’s independence, freedom and prosperity.
It was first established in 1947 in memory of the Second World War, which ended the occupation by Nazi Germany. Its location on Gellért Hill makes it a prominent feature of Budapest’s cityscape. The monument was designed by Zsigmond Kisfaludi Strobl. At the time of the monument’s construction, the defeat of the Axis forces by the Red Army was officially declared liberation, leading to the original inscription on the monument, both in Hungarian and Russian: “In memory of the liberating Soviet heroes erected by the grateful Hungarian people in 1945”. After the transition from communist rule to democracy in 1989, the inscription was changed to: “In memory of all who sacrificed their lives for the independence, freedom and prosperity of Hungary”. The Russian-language version of the tribute was removed in its entirety.