Price: 1.50 euro
For sale at http://www.propagandaworld.org
Pin made in the Soviet Union. The text on the pin reads:”Simferopol”. Simferopol is the second-largest city in the Crimean Peninsula. Simferopol is an important political, economic and transport hub of the peninsula, and serves as the administrative centre of both Simferopol Municipality and the surrounding Simferopol District.
During World War II, Simferopol was occupied by Nazi Germany from 1 November 1941 to 13 April 1944. The Germans perpetrated one of the largest war-time massacres in Simferopol, killing in total over 22,000 locals, mostly Jews, Russians, Krymchaks, and Romani. On one occasion, starting 9 December 1941, the Einsatzkommando 11b killed an estimated 14,300 Simferopol residents; most of them were Jews.
In April 1944 the Red Army liberated Simferopol. On 18 May 1944 the Crimean Tatar population of the city, along with the whole Crimean Tatar nation of Crimea, was forcibly deported to Central Asia as collective punishment for their perceived collaboration with Nazi Germany.