This pin is showing the ship wich stands on top of the Admiralty building in St. petersburg. The Admiralty is the former headquarters of the Admiralty Board and the Imperial Russian Navy in St. Petersburg, Russia and the current headquarters of the Russian Navy. The edifice was rebuilt in the nineteenth century to support the Tsar’s maritime ambitions. Located at the western end of the Nevsky Prospekt, The Admiralty with its gilded spire topped by a golden weather-vane in the shape of a small sail warship (Korablik), is one of the city’s most conspicuous landmarks and the focal point of old St. Petersburg’s three main streets underscoring the importance Peter I placed on Russia’s Navy.
Pin with the monument “The Bronze Horseman”. The text on the pin reads:”Leningrad Bronze Horseman”.
The Bronze Horseman a statue of Peter the Great in the Senate Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It has opened to the public on 7 (18) August 1782. Commissioned by Catherine the Great, it was created by the French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet.
The name comes from an 1833 poem of the same name by Aleksander Pushkin, which is widely considered one of the most significant works of Russian literature. The statue is now one of the symbols of Saint Petersburg.
Pin from Russia and shows the Peter And Paul Fortress in St.Petersburg (formerly known as Leningrad).
The Peter and Paul Fortress is the original citadel of St. Petersburg, Russia, founded by Peter the Great in 1703 and built to Domenico Trezzini’s designs from 1706 to 1740 as a star fortress. Between the first half of 1700s and early 1920s it served as a prison for political criminals. Functions as a museum since 1924. Today it has been adapted as the central and most important part of the State Museum of Saint Petersburg History.
Price: 4.50 euro
Plaque Rostral column marine Leningrad. Aluminum with 3D effect. A rostral column is a victory column, originating in ancient Greece and Rome, where they were built to commemorate a naval military victory.
The back of the medal says:”Rostral columns and the central building, naval museum, former exchange, architect(name) Leningrad“.
The pin says:”Leningrad”.
Saint Petersburg (previously Leningrad) is a city situated on the Neva River, at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. With 5 million inhabitants in 2012, it is Russia’s second largest city after Moscow. An important Russian port on the Baltic Sea.
During World War II, German forces besieged Leningrad following the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941. The siege lasted 872 days, or almost two and a half years. The Siege of Leningrad proved one of the longest, most destructive, and most lethal sieges of a major city in modern history. More than one million civilians were killed, mainly from starvation. Many others escaped or were evacuated, so the city became largely depopulated.
On 1 May 1945 Joseph Stalin, in his Supreme Commander Order No. 20, named Leningrad, alongside Stalingrad, Sevastopol, and Odessa, hero cities of the war. A law acknowledging the honorary title of “Hero City” passed in 1965. The Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR awarded Leningrad as a Hero City the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal “for the heroic resistance of the city and tenacity of the survivors of the Siege”. The Hero City Obelisk bearing the Gold Star sign was installed in April 1985.